FOR SALE - Sheep Breeding Stock
We have a few unregistered ewe lambs and several registered ram lambs still available from April 2016. Unregistered ewe lambs are $175 a head and our registered ram lambs are $450 a head.
We have begun breeding again for a spring 2017 lambing and expect to have new lambs born in April 2017.
If you'd like to get on our waiting list, please email Kent at email@example.com and we can add you on.
We typically price our 'premium' ewes and ewe lambs (top 60%) for $450 each. I do occasionally have adult ewes and unregistered katahdins for sale.
We only sell PREMIUM rams at $450 a head. Generally, as rams represent 50% of your genetics, there is no reason to use 'average' genetics when picking a ram.
We typically cull the bottom 1/3 of our ewe lambs and about 90% of our ram lambs.
Animals are ranked based on performance data generated on every lamb born on the property. Looking at their performance data more closely, we can pick out the animals coming off lines with high milk production, strong maternal traits, feed efficiency, and parasite resistance.
Once the animals are stratified by performance, we can also pull out any stock with structural issues like bad hocks and poor bite.
We generally select for:
1. High performance on grass. We provide no supplemental grain and all of our ewes complete their pregnancy on high-quality hay only.
2. Type A and AA coats.
3. A target weight of 130 to 150#'s for my adult ewes.
4. Good parasite resistance - despite heavy parasite loads, our adult animals rarely need deworming.
5. Carefree maternal traits - any mothers that show any hesitancy in caring for their lambs are culled immediately.
6. A calm, easy disposition.
7. No conformational defects. My preference is a wide bodied, long and low animal with good thickness to their frame.
8. Good DAG scoring. No one wants to look at poopy behinds, even if they have good parasite resistance.
We do generate performance data on all of our lambs including adjusted 60 and 90 days weights.
Inquiries for breeding stock should be made to Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org.